Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Gili Goes to School

We sent Gili back to school late Sunday morning.  I was sick in bed and my husband asked me if GIli should still see a doctor even though she seemed much better.  I said, "if she's better, take her to school!"  She still coughs and has some green stuff coming from her nose, but she seems to be doing well.

She loves school and I love knowing that she's getting proper stimulation.  I love having the house quiet and making my own schedule without my husband reminding me to do the dishes or do the laundry before Gili wakes up.  I love bringing Big Sis and Big Bro home at 1:30 PM and not constantly shushing them because Gili is sleeping.  And they love getting my attention until I leave to pick Gili up around 3:00 PM.  Life is good.

I've gotten a lot of exercise this week taking her to school.  Usually I put her in the Baby Bjorn and walk to the bus stop and from the stop to her school, and then when I'm alone, I walk the whole way.  Yesterday I forgot my bus card and walked home 30 minutes with her in the Baby Bjorn.  My back is a little sore, but after having her away all day, I like to travel with her close.  When she faces me, we can talk, and when she faces forward, she leans her sweet head on my chest.  Either way I get to smell her and give her kisses the whole time.

Gili has had two or three sessions with the physical therapist, Yael.  The therapist also sets her chair and directs the other teachers and assistants in her exercises.   I was surprised to see her chair back completely vertical, but she seems to be doing well.  Sometimes it's nice to see her in an environment where she's not behind.  She is one of the more severe CMV cases in Israel, but one of the more advanced students in her little class.

Today a young woman came in to work with the kids in shiatsu / reflexology.  Sunday the class has water therapy / hydrotherapy.  Gili is only allowed in with a letter from Professor Amir saying she is not contagious, or at least that it is safe for her to go in with other children.  When I asked Professor Amir about such a letter months ago, he said that all children of preschool age should be considered contagious.  But no one likes that response.  It's annoying that Gili is singled out because she was born with CMV, even though she is less likely to have an active infection than other snotty-nose children.

1 comment:

  1. She looks like she is having such a blast! I hate that she has to have a letter from Dr Amir to go in the pool... there's a better chance her classmates have an active CMV infection that she does and even if she does still have an active infection, she shouldn't be singled out like that when CMV runs rampant amongst preschoolers and none of the other children have to have notes saying they don't have active CMV infections.

    ReplyDelete