Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Sleeping Potions, Warm Baths, and Farewell our Graco

Gili's EEG yesterday went very smoothly.  It's quite a process and a lot of waiting in between.  We sign in upstairs, then get sent downstairs, where we get questioned and checked by a nurse (vitals taken, etc.), then by a doctor, then back to the nurse for the syrup to help her sleep.  The process for the BERA is the same, but this is the first time we made it past the doctor's check.  During all the waiting,  Gili supposedly hasn't eaten for 4 hours, but I know how long it takes to get the syrup, so I figure 4 hours from then, not the actual appointment time.  Either way, she's pissed.  Finally I manage to shush, hum, and rock her to sleep.  The ERG technician attached 12-13 nodes all over Gili's scalp with medical paste.  Then Gili slept peacefully for 15 minutes with lots of wire extending from her head, while I attempted small talk with the technician.

As soon as I open my mouth its painfully obvious to the unfortunate recipient of my broken Hebrew that I haven't been here too long, so that is usually the conversation starter.  And this time of year (the Jewish high  holidays) people also ask what you are doing for Rosh Hashana.  Either you are having guests or you're going out, usually to family.  It is unfathomable to Israelis that you wouldn't have close family in Israel.  It seems like everyone is going to their mother's or in-law's house.  I've heard Israeli's complain about living 20 minutes from their parents and siblings!  My mother actually is visiting next week and she'll be staying in our guest nook for two weeks.

Finally we were sent back down stairs where Gili woke up, ate, and was checked again by the nurse and doctor.  We were supposed to watch her constantly until 6 pm.  As soon as we got home a gave her a good bath to get all the sticky stuff off her head.  Gili loves the bath!  I lay her right down in the slippery tub with a few inches of warm water and she kicks and splashes and laughs until she's cold or pruney.



After she took a long nap and I took a short nap, my husband woke us up to go buy a stroller.  I actually hired a babysitter so Gili and my husband and I could go test drive stroller.  After 5.5 years of HEAVY duty use our wonderful light weight Graco with the huge basket was on it's last leg.  It didn't fold and there was a bar hanging off.  Most people here have these huge, expensive, sleek, strollers with no basket or parent tray, where you have to completely remove the seat to fold it or change for different "stages", similar to the Bugaboo, I think.  We "traded up" for a heavier, more expensive, taller (I'm very short) Chicco stroller with a smaller basket and little wheels.  But it has all the trays and things that were important to me.  Gili looks very comfortable in her new throne, but I think it's a much bumpier ride, and not such a good choice for the bumpy paver sidewalks here.  It maneuvered well in the store. Oh well.

Now I need to get ready for the holiday of Rosh Hashana, shich begins tonight.  Have a sweet, healthy, and happy new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment